Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Stress and Exercise


Let's face it, most of us are going to find a time in life where stress dominates our existence. Deadlines for work, soccer practices for kids, what to feed everyone, in-laws, etc... Life can and will challenge you. So how do you stay on track with your fitness during the most stressful times? And, how can you start exercising when you haven't been doing anything?

People ask me all the time what they should be doing. Often the conversation goes like this:


Friend: Oh, it must me nice to workout all the time

Me: Actually I'm sure I do less than you think I do

Friend: I just don't know when I could even go to a gym or workout

Me: Don't make it into a big deal

Friend: What should I do?

Me: Start by going for a walk, but don't turn it into a grandiose performance.

Friend: That's not going to do much for me is it?

Me: Number one walking increases heart rate and burns calories. Is running better? Sure! But don't try to be a runner just to be a runner. (PS I'm not a fan of running to get into shape. But that's for a different post). Number two, you can reduce stress and take time to clear your brain.

Friend: Wow! Thanks. I can do that.


So, why does stress matter when it comes to fat loss/ performance 

Homeostasis v Allostasis 

“Homeostasis is about tinkering with this valve or that gizmo. Allostasis is about the brain coordinating body-wide changes, often including changes in behavior.”

In times of stress, long term care, including rebuilding tissue and immunity, are halted for faster, more necessary, processes. This includes mobilization of fat for energy. Glucose (sugar) is the preferred source of energy and your body will come by that sugar by any means necessary. 

We’ll go deeper on this at another time 


If you have a question or comment about your own exercise plan, feel free to reach out for a consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment